Wednesday, October 3, 2012

At My Grandparents' Farm

My grandparents are moving to town this fall, so the we all went to Holdrege this past weekend so we (Darrel) could help with moving and cleaning up. I will always remember the fun times I had there growing up. I wish Clayton and Reese could have known what it was like there but I guess that is the way things go. This was the first time Reese had been out there and Clayton hadn't been since his first Christmas in 2010. I know they won't remember, so I took some pictures.

In the House:

Clayton and his Grandma cuddling in the living room

Grandma and Reese in front of the wood burning stove in the family room

 Outside ~ My mom took this antique planter so it will always be out at their place, but I think it just belongs on this hill. A hill that I always remembered being a lot bigger, by the way!
View from the porch looking south (I'm pretty sure)

A close up with Clayton on the planter (we just told him it was a tractor though)
Looking west


 I have always loved their mailbox!
Clayton walking down the driveway to the mailbox

Anything in there? Nope. "All gone!"

View from walking back up the driveway of the garage and Darrel, my Dad and Grandpa taking a little break from all the packing
This swing was made by my Great-Grandpa Daniel (my Grandpa's dad) and has always been there in front (east side) of the house. You can see the garage and the garden in the background (behind the trailer!)
Clayton and Grandpa on the swing

Reese playing in his jumperoo on the sidewalk along the front of the house with a grain bin in the background (looking north)

Clayton checking out one of the hitching posts that were always on either side of the garage

Playing with a truck outside, the garden in the background
 It was an emotional weekend for me knowing I can never go back to my grandparents' farm, but I'm glad I was able to share it a little bit with my own children even if they can't remember.  The boys certainly had a fun vacation day since we spent Friday night in what Clayton calls the "too-tel" (a good ol' Super 8!) We stayed up late (until almost 10 by the time everyone was asleep!) swimming in the pool and then he got to have a sleep over in "Papa and Me-Ma's" adjoining room (sometimes we hear Me-Mo and sometimes it's Me-Ma - and I can't really do justice to the way he pronounces Papa, it's really very sweet)




No comments:

Post a Comment