Thursday, July 21, 2011

Poor, sick baby!

Clayton came down with a stomach bug this morning! He didn't nap very well yesterday and had a horrible night last night (he kept waking up and fussing frequently), and then this morning after he woke up and I fed him a bottle, he barfed it all up. All over him, me and the chair, it was quite disgusting! After I got him all cleaned up, we cuddled for a while and then he seemed like he wanted to be put down to fall asleep since he was squirmy and uncomfortable. So I laid him down in his crib and he appeared to be asleep, so I went into my room to change and clean up, well over the baby monitor (sure glad I had it on) I hear sputtering and coughing! I run in and Clayton is sitting up, nearly choking on all his new throw up and it's running down his front, his back and down the wall. We both cry for a little bit since we were both so scared and disgusted, then we took a quick shower to clean up. He threw up about three more times, but a lot less volume so they weren't as much work to clean up, but I don't think he liked being jostled around so much have his shirt changed all the time. He cuddled and napped in my arms on the couch while I waited for Kearney Clinic to open and I talked to the nurse who said to bring him on in just to make sure he didn't have a bacterial infection and need antibiotics (he felt quite warm and I knew he had a fever).

Our regular doctor was out of the office today so we just saw the on call doctor. His temp registered at 98.6 which was odd, because even the nurse that took it said she thought he felt warm. . . When I took his clothes off so we could weigh him (Clayton weighed exactly 19lbs) I noticed that he was starting to break out in some red spots on his torso and face. Dr. Rogers took a look and declared his nose and ears to be clear, but with all that vomiting and a rash (the new red spots) he wanted him to see an actual pediatrician. At this point I was quite concerned! We saw a different doctor though and she said that it is a viral rash, confirmed that his ears, nose and throat seemed to be clear and it was probably caused by the adenovirus which is quite common and not a big deal (big sigh of relief). It can cause a lot of different things like pink eye or respiratory illness, and the common cold, but for Clayton it seems to have lodged in his digestive tract. She had her nurse take Clayton's tempurature and it was 101, I thought that was more accurate to how he felt! The doctor said I can expect the fever to last for 3-5 days and just try to keep him comfortable with some children's ibuprofen or Tylenol.

He was able to keep his food down for the rest of the day and after some ibuprofen seemed to be doing much better and took an almost three hour nap after some lunch. (We were at the clinic for about two hours!) He didn't feel like playing too much, just wanted to be cuddled and held by mom. We did have a little fun though, here is his new trick:

1 comment:

  1. Great teamwork Mommy and Clayton! Cute, cute, cute!!!

    ReplyDelete